Text reading software is useful in many ways and is suitable for anyone who wants to read a book or text document (PDF, docx, etc.) without actually wanting to spend hours in front of a screen. In this tutorial, we explain how to convert text to mp3 using free software.
There are many reasons that can push you towards a text reading software. Which can be of great help for the visually impaired. But also for users with a large volume of digital text to read and who do not wish to have their eyes constantly fixed on a screen.
In the publishing world, a number of books are now available in several versions: paper, digital, but also in the form of an audio book. Note, however, that there is an important difference between text-to-speech reading and human reading. And if you still prefer to record your own readings as audio, there are software to perform that as well. There is for example Audacity who manages like a chef.
Let it be said, listening comfort is not the same between reading by a human and reading by a robot. That being said, you get used to it quite easily after a few hours of listening. And it should be noted that the progress made in speech synthesis technologies allows to have satisfactory results, even if everything is not yet perfect.
There are several text reading software. They offer the possibility of exporting texts as an audio file in order to listen to them anytime at will. In this tutorial, we will tell you how to use the free software Balabolka.
Have text read by voice synthesis with Balabolka
You can paste text into Balabolka or import files in DOCX, PDF, RTF, etc. Balabolka, like the reading voices, can be downloaded from this page. Note that the French Hortense voice is available by default when you open the software for the first time. To do this, you must have opted for the French version during installation.
How to import text and read it
- In the tab SAPI5, type the text to convert in the edit space. For this tutorial, we will be using a poem by Arthur Rimbaud.
- Then click on Play to listen to your text declaimed by Hortense.
- It is possible to configure the reading speed as you wish. By default, it is “0”. It’s up to you to find the setting that suits you. You can also change the stamp (lower or higher) at your convenience.
- Instead of copying the text, you can also import the text from a document.
- To import the text, click File> Open.
- Select the document to read and click Open. Many formats are compatible with the software (Word, PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, ZIP Archives, etc.).
How to convert reading text to audio (mp3)
- Click on File> Save audio file.
- Then, select the type of format you want (mp3, WAV, MPEG-4, etc.) and save.
How to convert text to audio with an online speech synthesizer
You can also opt for a free online alternative: TTS Reader. We particularly appreciate it for its ease of use and its compatibility with French.
- Click on this link to access the tool.
- Type your text in the placeholder, set the speed (normal, slow or fast) then press the play button to listen to the result.