Windows 11 has been officially available for download since October 5, 2021. The free Windows 11 update from Windows 10 is rolling out internationally, so here’s how to install it on a compatible or non-compatible PC as soon as possible. now.
If Insiders could download the final version of Windows 11 since September 27, know that all users can now take advantage of the update, for free. And if 62% of Windows users don’t even know it’s going to be released, we’ve put together a simple little tutorial for you to find out. how to install Windows 11 on a compatible or non-compatible PC.
Note, however, that all existing PCs running Windows 10 will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11. Windows 11 requires 8th generation Intel Coffee Lake or Zen 2 processors and above, support for TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module), 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage. This leaves millions of PCs unable to officially upgrade to Windows 11, although there are workarounds if you really want to install Windows 11.
Download and install Windows 11 from Windows Update
Here’s how to get Windows 11 today, whether you have a new PC that just shipped with Windows 10, or a device that is licensed to upgrade to Windows 11.
- On your Windows 10 PC, go to Settings > Update and security > Windows Update
- Check for updates.
- If the free Windows 11 upgrade is available, you will see a download and install option. If it doesn’t appear, we’ll explain how to do it below.
- Click download and install.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and configure Windows 11 settings.
Microsoft is also deploying gradually Windows 11. So keep in mind that the update will not be immediately offered to all officially supported PCs. All existing and eligible PCs are expected to benefit from upgrading to Windows 11 by mid-2022, according to Microsoft.
Download and install Windows 11 from the Microsoft site
If no update to Windows 11 appears in Windows Update, be aware that it is possible install Windows 11 manually (provided your PC is eligible). How? ‘Or’ What ? Follow the guide.
- Download the official Windows 11 update wizard by clicking on the link below:
You do not have to do anything: the program will take care of itself check your hardware configuration, download Windows 11 and install it. Everything is automatic. Your PC will then restart several times before starting on Windows 11. Unless I’m mistaken, all your files will be kept.
The set can take several minutes to several hours depending on your PC and internet connection. The installation may fail, if this happens to you, click retry or restart the software.
How to install Windows 11 on an incompatible PC?
If your PC is not compatible with Windows 11, Microsoft has posted a method to force installation. If it is a very official method, Microsoft does not recommend to its users to use it. The Redmond firm instead invites its users to keep Windows 10, at least until 2025, when security updates will stop.
- Launch Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
- Access the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM Setup MoSetup
- Right click> New> 32-bit DWORD value
- Name: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU
- Value: 1
From there, you have three options for installing Windows 11:
- Go to the Windows 11 software download page and use the Windows 11 installation wizard, click “Download now” and follow the instructions.
- Create a bootable USB drive or DVD by selecting “Create Windows 11 installation media”.
- Download a disk image (ISO) for bootable media or virtual machine installation.
Microsoft indicates that a clean install of Windows 11 from a USB key will only do a partial verification of the recommendations (TPM 1.2 instead of TPM 2.0 and no verification of the processor model).