Sony does not support the installation of VPN applications on its platform, so you have to go through other means to achieve this. Here are the different methods and steps to follow to use a connection via VPN on PS4 and PS5.
Nothing is easier than setting up a VPN on your Windows PC, Mac or smartphone. The app does everything on its own without you needing to fiddle with the settings. On the other hand, when it comes to doing it on a console, in particular on PS4 and PS5, the maneuver is much more technical. The reason is simple, Sony does not allow VPN type applications on its store. It is therefore necessary to go through another means and fortunately, the VPN services have planned for the coup even if it requires some manipulation.
A VPN on PS4 and PS5, what is it for?
But is that true?! Why would I need to use my VPN on my console? What can be the benefits?
A VPN by nature will have the main function of changing the location of your connection. Thus, you can get closer to a desired server, or simply unblock access by making it believe that you are at an authorized location. It is also a good way to guard against DDOS attacks that can occur via malicious people, your IP being masked, there is no longer any risk.
Another useful use for those in a hurry: thanks to a VPN, you can make your console believe that you are in Australia and get early access to the latest titles released on the PlayStation Store and thus save a few hours of play.
And of course, let’s not forget video streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Disney+, a VPN that can unblock access to geo-locked content from around the world.
How to configure a VPN for your PS4 or PS5?
As said above, it is impossible to find a VPN application on the PlayStation store, so you have to be cunning and go directly through your router or your Internet box or your computer.
Configure a VPN via a router or Internet box
Most modern routers or operator boxes (Livebox, SFR Box, Freebox or Bbox) support VPN connections. All you need to do is manually enter the details of the VPN account you are using into your router settings. So first make sure your router is compatible with a VPN.
And there, you begin to see the major concern of this manipulation: it is impossible to give a precise procedure for each router or Internet box on the market, the interfaces and the ways of proceeding can vary widely. Fortunately, the connection interfaces of your boxes or routers are based on the same organizational logic.
In all cases. There must be a “VPN” or “Private Network” menu in this connection interface. Some Internet boxes will require specific access such as “Pro” Where “Advanced Userto access VPN options, for example the Orange Livebox.
Here is the information you will usually be asked for.
- VPN name;
- Server URL;
- email address linked to your VPN;
- Password for your VPN account;
- An encryption key.
Once all your information has been filled in, click on OK to save them and restart your router.
Setup a VPN via Smart DNS on PS4 and PS5
It’s not the most optimal option to achieve this, but it at least has the merit of being a good option if you just need to connect to a specific server or locality. On the other hand, you will have to do without the encryption of your data, which is nevertheless a basis for a VPN.
Also, Smart DNS is not an option offered by all VPNs on the market, even if the most popular ones such as NordVPN, Cyberghost or ExpressVPN allow it. Typically, enabling Smart DNS is found in the VPN app’s options.
- Go to the settings of your PS4 or PS5 then to the R tabnetwork thenconfigure internet connection;
- Choose the desired connection method: Wi-Fi or LAN;
- Choose the option Custom when you are asked how to configure your connection. Remember to use the correct Wi-Fi network if your console is connected in this way;
- Choose Automatique among the options displayed;
- Choose the option Do not define in DHCP Host;
- Choose Manual in the DNS settings then enter the Smart DNS address assigned to your cVPN account;
- Choose mode Automatique for parameters MTU;
- Choose the option Do not use for the Proxy Server option;
- Validate, then restart the console.
Your console should then be set to the assigned smart DNS of your VPN account.
Setup a VPN on PS4 and PS5 with Windows
The other, more complex, but more secure method is to set up your console’s VPN connection directly through a Windows computer. This will have the effect of transforming your computer into a sort of virtual router. For the connection to be made correctly, your computer must be able to be connected by Wi-Fi or Ethernet to your router, but also have an additional Ethernet port:
- Log in to your VPN app and connect to the desired server.
- Connect a network (Ethernet) cable to your PC, then connect it to the network port on your console
- On Windows, open the Control Panelthen Network and Internetthen Network and Sharing Centerand select Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on your currently running VPN connection and click Properties.
- Open the tab Share and make sure the option Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection is selected.
- Select Home network connection then Internet connection from the drop-down menu. Note that this will need to be a Wi-Fi connection if you only have one Ethernet port on your PC.
- Now go to your console in the Network Settings, then in the tab Configure Internet connectionselect Use a LAN cable with the easy connection method.
- Then select Do not use a proxy server.
- Test your connection and if all went well, your console should be connected to the internet through your VPN.
Set up a VPN on PS4 and PS5 with macOS
The configuration for macOS is not so different than for Windows, only the menus change.
To follow us, we invite you to download our Android and iOS application. You can read our articles, files, and watch our latest YouTube videos.