Got a PS5 and want to add an M.2 SSD to save storage space, but wondering how to install the drive yourself? Here is our easy and complete tutorial to help you in this process.
Sony finally allows its users to install an SSD in the expansion bay provided for this purpose on their PlayStation 5. This means that you can now expand the storage of your console, starting today, with an SSD drive that will be able to run your games without any loss of performance.
We have already put together a comprehensive buying guide to help you select the best M.2 SSD for your PlayStation 5. This step is crucial, because before you jump in, you should know that Sony requires many criteria to choose the right SSD, so as not to be mistaken.
With this other guide we help you know where is the expansion bay of your PS5, but also to install your M.2 SSD there. Rest assured, the maneuver is easily achievable. The important thing is to follow the instructions. Let’s go !
What M.2 SSDs are compatible with the PS5?
Not all M.2 SSDs are compatible with the PS5. Care must be taken to choose the right model, one that meets Sony’s criteria. Here they are.
- The M.2 SSD must be compatible with PCIe 4.0 protocol (or Gen4).
- Supported formats are 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
- Its storage must not not be less than 250 GB and greater than 4 TB.
- It must be in Socket 3 (M key).
- Its sequential read speed should be 5500MB / s or more.
- It must have a heatsink.
- here is the dimensions : up to 25 mm in width, 30/40/60/80/110 mm in length, up to 11.25 mm in thickness (up to 8 mm above the board, up to 2.45 mm below the card).
Before any purchase, be sure to review the drive specifications carefully and contact the distributor or manufacturer if you need clarification. Warning, Sony does not provide any warranty for M.2 SSD devices to function properly, even if they meet prescribed specifications.
What do I need to add M.2 SSD to my PS5?
Before starting the procedure, make sure you have:
- The latest PS5 system software update (obligatory)
- A size 1 Phillips screwdriver (obligatory)
- A single or double-sided M.2 SSD that meets Sony criteria (obligatory)
- From a well-lit room, to see clearly.
- A flat surface with a protective coating, to protect your console.
Before you start installing (or removing) the M.2 disc on your PS5, be sure to touching a metallic object that is grounded to discharge static electricity from your body. Of course, do not attempt to turn on or play your console with the cover removed.
Where is the M.2 SSD expansion bay on PS5?
The PS5 M.2 SSD expansion slot is located under the cover opposite the PlayStation logo (the white cover that includes the drive bay) and towards the top of the console (the side opposite the power button). Here is the location in picture.
How to add an SSD in the expansion bay of the PS5?
To have access to the expansion bay of your PS5, you will need to place your PS5 on a flat surface and on a protective coating. You need to turn it off, remove the base and attached cables, then reach for it to cool down. Then touch a metal object to remove static electricity from your body before you begin.
- Place the console with the PS logo facing down and the power button facing away from you.
- Grasp the end of the lower right corner of the console with your right hand and hold the upper left corner of the cover with your left hand.
- Lift the cover (gently) with your right hand.
- Remove the cover by sliding it with your left thumb.
- You will then see the location of the expansion slot.
You will then need to remove the little white plate which protects the slit.
- Use a Philips # 1 screwdriver (or size 1 screwdriver) to unscrew and remove the expansion bay cover (two screws). Be careful not to drop the screws into the fan.
- Remove the screw closest to the fan and the spacer that goes with it.
- Move the spacer into the groove corresponding to the size of your M.2 SSD.
- Hold the edge of your M.2 solid-state drive, align it with the notch on the expansion slot, and then firmly insert it diagonally until it clicks into place. Make sure it is properly secured.
- Then secure the M.2 SSD to the spacer using the screw.
- Reassemble the expansion bay cover and the PS5 plate by following the same steps, but in reverse.
When you launch your console, the PS5 will detect your new M.2 SSD It will suggest the format: agree by selecting Format M.2 SSD and follow the displayed steps.
If you want to remove an M.2 SSD from your PS5, just follow the same steps, but in reverse. And if you prefer to be guided by video, here is Sony’s official video to do the installation.
How to move apps and games already installed on your M.2 SSD?
Overall, for check your storage space and move or delete data on your M.2 SSD, do the following.
- Go to the home screen.
- Select Settings > Storage > M.2 SSD storage.
To move apps and games already installed on your console storage, follow the guide.
- Go to the home screen of your games.
- Select Game library.
- Select the data you want to move, press the key Options, then select Move games and apps.
- Select the check boxes corresponding to the games and applications you want to move, and then select To move.
How to install games and apps on M.2 SSD storage of PS5?
You can easily download and install games or apps from PlayStation Store and directly to your M.2 SSD. How? ‘Or’ What ? It’s very simple, follow the guide.
- Go to the home screen.
- Select Settings > Storage > Installation location.
Note, however, that all game data for a specific game must be stored at the same place (you cannot store part of the game data on console storage and the rest of the data on M.2 SSD storage, for example).
What are the differences between an M.2 SSD and USB extended storage?
There are three big differences between installing an M.2 SSD and using extended USB storage. The biggest advantage is that PS5 games are directly playable from M.2 SSD storage. They are not from USB extended storage. But that’s not all.
Secondly, games can be directly downloaded to M.2 SSD storage, as we saw above. Finally, PS5 games can be directly updated to M.2 SSD storage, while this is not possible from USB extended storage.
Is it possible to insert a SATA drive into a PS5?
No. M.2 SATA SSDs are not supported by the PS5, so be sure to select the correct M.2 SSD for your PS5.
Do I have to remove the M.2 SSD if I send the PS5 for repair?
Yes. It is essential to remove the M.2 SSD from your PS5 before sending it for repair. How? ‘Or’ What ? Simply follow the steps we mentioned above, but in reverse, taking care to follow the same instructions.
Is it possible to partition M.2 SSD on PS5?
No. This is not possible: you must fully format the M.2 SSD to be able to use it.